Menu

Hollidaysburg Christian & Missionary Alliance Church

Living Hope for Real People

Our Church History

 

History of the Hollidaysburg Christian & Missionary Alliance Church
 The Hollidaysburg Christian and Missionary Alliance Church dates back to July 1938 when Elmer Snowberger, a school teacher from Williamsburg, began holding meetings at 114 Allegheny Street. The suggestion that an Alliance church be started in Hollidaysburg was made by Rev. G.E. Courtright, then pastor of the Altoona Alliance Church.
Mr. Snowberger accepted the challenge of pastoring this proposed congregation and, along with Donald B. Clemens, obtained a storeroom and furnishings for the first meeting place. Early congregations were often small, yet a couple hundred people were sometimes attracted to street meeting conducted on Saturday afternoons on the diamond in Hoillidaysburg by several laymen from the Altoona church, including Edwin S. Roland.
The Hollidaysburg church became independent from its’ original connection as a branch of the Altoona church in the early 1940's and, in the next few years, moved twice - first to 606 Allegheny Street and later to the YMCA.
The church was officially organized on January 12, 1947 with twelve charter members. On May 7, 1954 the members agreed to purchase the former Church of the Brethren building at 532 Pine Street.
On December 1974 a building committee was appointed to consider the possibility of expansion. Property was purchased the following year near the Meadows intersection. Plans were made for the construction of both a new church Building and a new parsonage. A groundbreaking service was held at the building site on July 15, 1979. Mr. David Dempsie, a church member, served as the general contractor and supervisor of the project.
The new parsonage was occupied in December 1979 and regular services in the new church building began March 23, 1980. The dedication service for the buildings was held July 13, 1980. The Pastor, Rev. Mark H. Grossoehme, led the congregation in the act of dedication while Rev. Ralph E. Lithgow, District Superintendent of the Western PA District of the C&MA, delivered the dedication message and offered the prayer of dedication.
The following lay-pastors and pastors have served the Lord at the Hollidaysburg C&MA Church: Mr. Elmer Snowberger, Rev. Robert H. Shane, Mr. Leroy P. Evans, Rev. William Morrison, Rev. J. Emerson Low, Rev. Howard A. Witherow, Rev. Melvin C. Allison, Rev. Emory E. Ringer, Dr. Gerald E. McGraw, Rev. Joseph Sabo. Mr. Donald Commino, Rev. George Hobbs, Rev. Jack Waite, Rev. Gerald Spaid, Rev. Randall B. Corbin, Rev. Mark H. Grossoehme, Rev. Daniel Heth, Pastor Mark Fink, Pastor Larry Aldrich, and Pastor Donald Robson, and Rev. Steven R. Miller. Present pastor Rev. Jeffrey Kiel.

Contact Information

Address:

183 Jefferson Street

Hollidaysburg, PA 16648

Phone:

814-695-6943

E- mail

jeffjokiel@gmail.com

cell phone 715-768-0956

Get Directions

Loading...

Directions